Sep 7, 2017

Familiarity breeds contempt.

So, my blog has turned into a gripefest about my job, wonderful.

What a waste.

I took a staff job to bring a certain structure to life, a way to be able to maintain a steady income that would allow me to focus on other aspects of my life that I’ve neglected and instead work has all but taken over every aspect of life.

I try to be nice but there comes a certain limit where I begin to push back. I’ve decided that a nine hour day is enough of a commitment to an employer. This seems very realistic except in my current setting. It’s only a matter of time before this idea that a nine hour day is not enough becomes a point of contention and a focus of conflict.

Today was almost one of the day as I had an inordinate amount of work dumped on me with a short deadline. So, the idea here is that you’ll do a good job in an extremely short timeframe. It’s simply a lose, lose situation. You’re left with the chouce of doing a job half assed or blowing your deadline.

Monday, help was assigned to this particular project after I made it clear I would be leaving at a reasonable hour but somehow even though three other people were assigned to the project they couldn’t manage to finish everything and the folks in charge deemed to cut them loose at a reasonable hour (8:30). Seeing as how I’ve been stuck there on my own until 9:30, 11:30, 1:30 it was an especially nice Fusk You. So when I got in today I was confronted with a bunch of unfinished work which carried over into today as well as additional work with more work backed up behind it.

Seriously.

Now in the meantime, the other member of my ‘team,’ the person who is supposed to be leading things but who has but who has consistently underestimated timing and deadlines and appears to be very preoccupied with doing everything but work was heavily sighing all day long because the noose is getting tighter.

Mind you, the person in question is personable, a kibitzer to be sure but also has the idea that leading means doing less work and not more. This is something I was talking to another friend on the job about as we both have managed people and talked about how you wind up doing a hell of a lot more work not less.

My friend though thinks that this will only allow him to enjoy his tea parties all the more throughout the day.

I’m almost tempted to put a stopwatch on him, seriously because between getting up and running off to retouching to have a conversation, chatting with other people in the office, spending time watching the rip, texting on his phone, instant messaging people, spending time in the kitchen or bathroom, we’re talking about on a good day there being perhaps two solid hours of work getting done.

And even then, it’s not a question of it being done and gone, more it’s a question of it being done and coming back and coming back again and coming back a third time and then coming back a fourth time and then going into the following week... but he’s in bright and early every day and then manages somehow to stay late each night?

It’s truly miraculous to behold.

I really wouldn’t give a crap if I wasn’t being forced to pick up the slack. After a month of it, I’ve grown more than a little tired of it.

Anyway around 3 pm it was clear that the deadline wasn’t going to be met and I raised a red flag that either help needed to be forthcoming or expectations weren’t going to be met to which I got what could be considered a good fuck you, this is dumped in your lap.

Well, it’s around this time I’m looking at the door.

Mind you, in the last four or five weeks for the first time in my life I’ve developed TMJ which I have no doubt arises from the stress of the job. So, it’s as if my body is sending me a very clear message and I’m listening now. Really. The amount of pain I deal with currently on a daily basis from the TMJ is pretty incredible. I have a decent tolerance for pain but I admit it when I’m beat and I’m beat now.

So, we’re basically at a point where it’s no longer a question of if as much as when.

This should be interesting so stay tuned.

No comments: